Monday, January 6, 2014

The Base of Bridal Veil Falls

       On New Year's Day I had the opportunity to do something that very few people will ever say that they had the chance to do.  Under perfect conditions I was able to climb up to the base of Bridal Veil Falls (the beloved waterfall seen from Tunnel View) in Yosemite National Park.




       For those that don't know very much about this waterfall,  the trail leading up to it simply leads to view point of the falls that comes to an abrupt 300 foot wall of boulders.  It is usually impossible to go any further because there is so much mist and water that it is hard to see and the rocks are slick.  When there isn't any water falling from the picturesque cliff, there is too much snow on the trail to even follow the path to the view point.

       It was rare to see a sunny day on the first of January, but what it meant for me was a snowless, waterless path all the way up the steep boulders to base of the falls.  Half way up the steep slope of treacherous rocks my dad and brother wanted to turn back, but there was no way that I was going to leave without seeing the base of the falls.  We all pushed on.

       We were glad that we did.  At the base of falls was the most amazing thing that I have ever seen.  A giant snow bank sloped from the fall's cliff making a cave of snow.  Inside the cave you could see the falls hitting the pool of water at the base.  I would have been satisfied just seeing an ordinary pool at the bottom of the falls, but this far exceeded my expectations!

       What makes this experience even more amazing is that my dad and I go up to Yosemite all the time, just the two of us.  I have gone up this familiar path over fourteen times, each time a similar experience.  This trip, my entire family was with us.  My dad asked me above everyone else if we should stop and go up the trial, my response was to ask the others because I had seen it plenty if times.  I obviously didn't expect this time to be any different, but it was!  This just shows you how often things are changing, even the things to feel very familiar to you.  There are always surprises waiting around the corner!






No comments:

Post a Comment